Some are some random facts domain name I found interesting.
- Domain registration was free before 1995. Network Solutions was the first organization to start charging for them – at $100 for 2 years registration. Read the Untold story of SAIC, Network Solutions, and the Rise of the Web.
- Google is originally named Googol. Sean Anderson misspelled the name and registered it as Google (source).
- .top, .xyz, and .loan are the top 3 new generic TLDs as of October 2017 (source).
- There are 2,966 ICANN accredited registrars at time of writing (see every one in this .csv file).
- GoDaddy is the #1 domain registrar. The company holds more than 51 million domains at time of writing (source).
- All possible two letter combinations domains are taken.
- So are four letter combinations domains (source).
- In December 1999, Microsoft Inc. forgot to renew the domain name Passport.com, causing its Hotmail service crippled. Michael Chaney, a Linux programmer and kind soul, paid the $35 fee, posted the receipt and “Merry Christmas, Microsoft” on Slashdot, and handed over ownership back to Microsoft (source).
- Mike Mann sets the record for most domains (14,962 to be exact) registered in single day in April 2012 (source).
- You can register a .tk domain for free (do it now).
- symbolics.com is the very first domain name registered on the Internet is , which was registered on March 15, 1985 (visit online).
- The growth of domain was slow in the beginning, in October 1990, there were only 1,151 .com domains registered (source).
- Commercial use of the Internet was first permitted in 1988 (source).
- LasVegas.com was sold for $90 million dollars in June 2005. The payment is scheduled to be completed over 35 years – spanning from 2005 to 2040 (source).
- The second (CarInsurance.com, $49.7 million) and third (Insurance.com, $36.6 million) most expensive domain names are acquired by the same company – QuinStreet (source).
Having fun so far? I’ll keep updating this list in future. Come back for more.